Choosing The Right Carpet For Your Home
On one of our previous blog posts, we talked about the different types of flooring choices a homeowner has: wood, carpet, tile, stone, etc. The majority of time many homeowners choose between wood or carpet or a combination of the two. But choosing between these options is not the only choice you make when it comes to flooring. You also have to decide on what kind of carpet or wood you would like for your home.
On this blog post, we will talk about what you need to know when deciding on a carpet. Many homeowners choose carpet because it’s soft to walk on (and sleep on), keeps your house warm during winter and provides sound insulation. But these features rely on the type of carpeting you choose. So what should you pay attention when choosing carpet for your new home?
- Carpet Fiber: You can choose from wool, wool blend, nylon, polyester, triexta or olefin. Wool is highly durable and stain resistant but on the pricier side. If you want to get some of the same characteristics as wool, you can opt for wool blend which is more affordable. Nylon is the most popular type because it is durable and easy to maintain. The downside is that it is not very stain resistant. Olefin is used in areas like basement due to its resistance to mold and mildew. Triexta is also soft, durable and stain resistant and is a good environmentally friendly choice.
- Styles: If you have ever looked closely at different carpets you know that styles vary. You can choose from loop pile, cut pile and a combination of the two.
- Loop Pile: This carpet is durable and stain resistant and is usually installed in high traffic areas. You have the option from level loop or berber which is flat, or multi-level or textured which has high and low loops that create a specific pattern.
- Cut Pile: This is the soft carpet, the one everyone loves to lay down on. This is usually installed in bedrooms, living rooms, and hallways. You can choose from plus or velvet carpeting which looks smooth, twisted or Saxony which has twisted fibers or frieze.
- Combination: The combination of both creates a distinct pattern and makes it durable and stain resistant.
- Color: You could choose any color that you want, but we suggest to choose the one that matches and complements your home. But let’s be honest you will most likely go with beige or a similar shade, and we can’t blame you for it. It’s a chic color that goes with everything.
Choosing the right carpet for your home, it’s not just about color; there are many things that go into it. Regardless of what color, style or material you choose, always make sure that the carpet is of quality and that is something that you will love for years to come. And if you decide to build your home, give Fredericksburg Custom Homes a call! We build homes in Fredericksburg and in the surrounding Northern Virginia area.