Designing a Custom Home With Your Pet in Mind
Welcome back to our Fredericksburg Custom Home blog! This blog post is inspired by an article we read this summer that we really caught our eye. The article talked about how millennials are choosing to buy homes because of their pets. Pets was the 3rd reason listed in the survey above marriage and children. It’s true that people have various reasons for buying their first homes, which are usually to build equity or because they got married or had kids. But we all love our pets! And if you are designing your home you might be interested in how to make your house pet-friendly.
- Flooring: Choosing the kind of flooring that you want and need for your pet is important. If your pet is trained or will be trained, you are fine to go with carpet. But if you think this will be a problem you can choose a stain resistant hardwood floor or stain resistant carpet.
- Backyard: Buying a lot with enough backyard will make your furry friend happy!
- Pet Room: When designing your home, set aside a little bit of space for your pet. Consider building a mudroom where you can put his toys and a dog shower. Your pet might not fully appreciate it as much as the backyard, but you will!
- Feeding Stations: In your kitchen or garage (or both) we can design built-in feeding areas in the drawers. This will keep the mess contained, and will mean less cleaning up for you!
- Custom Doors: Giving your furry friend the ability to go out into the backyard at any moment will make him/her happy and will prevent accidents. But we can also add doors that don’t clash with the style of your home. You don’t have to sacrifice style for your pet’s comfort.
If you are in Fredericksburg or the Loudoun area and are thinking of designing a custom home, give us a call at 540-220-1500. We can help you design a home that is pet-friendly as well as luxurious and beautiful!