Designing Your Home: Kitchen Countertops 101
Hello! and welcome back to our blog. The current weather in Fredericksburg is rainy and gloomy, but we won’t let it bring us down! So we have decided to write about one of our favorite topics; kitchen countertops. Choosing the right kitchen countertop is one of the most important choices that you make when designing your kitchen.
Countertops and cabinets are what either make or break your kitchen. Everything else revolves around the color and style of these two. So, when choosing the perfect countertop for your kitchen, you want to do your homework and learn a little bit about all of them so you make the most informed decision.
But we want to make things easier for you, so we have created our own Kitchen Countertop 101 list of the most popular countertops, so you can decide which material works best for you. We have listed advantages and disadvantages for each, so you can make a conscious decision.
- Granite: Granite is currently the #1 choice for homeowners. Due to it’s popularity, the price for granite has decreased and has become more affordable. Granite comes in wide range of colors and variations. You can also choose from a polished or matte look. Once sealed, it is non-porous and easy to maintain.
- Quartz: This man-made stone looks pretty and expensive. You can choose from a wide range of colors and won’t have to stress too much because it is easy to maintain. This material is resistant to stains, scratches, heat and acid. It can be expensive.
- Marble: Marble is one of the most popular kitchen countertop materials. This material is classic and timeless and will always make your kitchen look expensive. Of course, with luxury comes maintenance. Marble tends to stain easily and must be resealed every 1-2 years. Although it requires maintenance, it is heat resistant. But it is not as effective as other materials such as granite or quartz. It can withstand heat but may experience some discoloration, burns and cracking.
- Butcher Block: Butcher Block gives your kitchen a warm and cozy look. You can choose from a wide range of colors and finishes, although maple and oak are the most popular choices. It is heat resistant and it is easy to clean. It does require a bit of maintenance since it can stain over time.
- Soapstone: Soapstone is always found in a dark gray with a few pattern variations. It has a smooth feel and is non-porous. It does require some maintenance which is the application of mineral oil; this will help to disguise small scratches.
We hope our list helps you in the search of the perfect kitchen countertop. We know how tough it can be to choose from these beautiful options, but once you do, it will all be worth it. Once you are ready, you can give Fredericksburg Custom Homes a call so we can begin designing your perfect home.