Open Floor Plans vs Closed Floor Plans
Choosing a floor plan can be overwhelming because you have to take into account things like your lifestyle and the landscape of your lot. But being informed on the floor plan that you choose will make designing your home a lot easier. When looking at the design of your home, people usually choose from open floor or closed floor plans.
Both of these are complete opposites and both have its advantages and disadvantages. There is not a right or wrong choice, it all depends on what you want. So, what does each plan offer?
Open Floor Plan
An open floor plan usually consists of one or more open rooms. This is usually seen in rooms where the living room, dining room, and the kitchen share a space.
- It will make everything look bigger. Since the rooms flow together and are not separated by walls, it will automatically make the space seem bigger.
- You will have more social time with your family. You won’t need to leave the kitchen to speak to your children. You can carry a conversation even if you are in two different rooms.
- Supervision: You can keep an eye on the kids! or be in the living room and keep an eye on what’s cooking.
- The lack of walls will allow for more natural light to disperse throughout the house.
Closed Floor Plan
You probably know by now that a closed floor plan consists of more walls. The living room, dining room, and kitchen are separate rooms with a doorway and four walls.
- The extra walls will allow for privacy. You can have a private conversation in the dining room without having to worry about people hearing you in the living room.
- More walls, more art! If you like to decorate your walls, this floor plan is perfect for that.
- You can customize a room. For example, in order to make your home look good with an open floor plan, the living room, dining room, and kitchen all have to follow the same style because you can see them from one room to another. With more walls, you can have different styles for every room.
As we said before, there is no wrong or right answer, it is only based on your wants and needs. If you are ready to build the house of your dreams and are in the Loudoun or Fredericksburg area, give Fredericksburg Custom Homes a call!