Tips for Moving to Your New Home
Moving to the house of your dreams is exciting! You have built the home you always wanted and now you are ready to settle into your new Northern Virginia home. But hold up! You still have to gather all your belongings and pack up. While it is a very thrilling time, it is also very stressful and many times frustrating. If you are busy with work or family, it might even be harder to know where to start in the moving process. So, we have gathered a list of tips to help you during this hectic process!
- Throw away and donate: You do not need pack up items that you no longer use. Gather all those old items and throw them away (if they are unusable) or pack them up to donate to your favorite donation place.
- Categorize: Figure out how you want to categorize items. You can pack up a box with just kitchen items or pack a box with the items in your child’s room. After you figure that out, label the box! This is helpful for when you do not have time to completely unpack but you can still locate the items that you need right away.
- Find a moving company: Research the local moving companies and schedule ahead in advance, so you do not run into any scheduling issues.
- Avoid spills: Unscrew the cap of any item (such as lotion or oil) that could open during the moving process and place a Ziploc bag over the top and put the cap back on.
- Groceries: If you know when you are moving, stop buying groceries a week in advance. This will minimize the food that you will have to take or any items that might go bad during the move. Yuck!
- Organize Early: Do not leave things until last minute! Seriously! You will regret it. Minimize the headache by packing 30-60 days in advance! You can pack little things day by day. Pack things that you do not need right away like home décor, and leave food and toiletries for last!
Fredericksburg Custom Homes wants to make your move to your new custom home stress-free! So we hope that these tips can ease your load! And if you are still thinking of building a home, give us a call!